M: Nope it all started because you weren't working and were too bored so you asked us out
A: Oh so now we're linking back. If that's the case then no it started b/c the week before that while planning the schedule I gave myself a day off on that fateful day and then we can go back and back and back...
Hahahaha whatever it was I never thought I would go travelling with Adrian, Penny and Shin. Honestly, what weird combi right? But the one week in BKK had been wicked fun, I'm glad it did happen.
One week in BKK can neither be said to be too long nor short. Closer to the end, especially after I lost my wallet, all I wanted was to come back to Singapore, to my mom, my sis, my dog and W. But now that I'm back, I'm starting to miss the shopping, the bargaining, the street food, having dinner at 12 am, counting the time difference between SG and there...
That said, I probably wouldn't want to be back for another year or so b/c being broke and going to Bangkok just doesn't go together. You know how some countries, you only have to have enough for the air tkts and a hundred bucks or two to spend and you're set? Well, BKK isn't one unless you are not planning to shop at all, which obviously I wouldn't be able to resist. So maybe when my bank balance goes up my thoughts will change.

Taking off is just taking off, but the landing... I'm always excited for the landing! It gives my first glismpe of the country and also means that the vacation has officially started and I'm gonna have to try squeezing as much fun as I can in the few days that I'm there.
I really wanted to also experience the life in Thailand aside from the endless shopping, but throughout the whole trip, the closest we did (besides having street food) is probably taking the train from the airport to our hotel. Hahahaha we are such losers.

So we stayed at Baiyoke Boutique which was pretty good I'll say for a budget hotel but the bed was sooooo hard... Other than that, I'll definitely recommend b/c the location is good, and you can even use the facilities like the gym and swimming pool at Baiyoke Sky which is just next to it.

First day was spent familiarizing with the streets near to our hotel. We did also spend some time at Platinum Mall, which we'll continue to go for the next four days hahaha but I personally don't find this to be the best place to shop at even though I probably bought the most from there.
Best part of the day though was getting the street food up to our hotel room for supper and laughing at Adrian's pink pyjamas shorts with pig prints hahahahaha.

I love love love Phad Thai!!! I've always liked sugary, salty, fried food and Phad Thai is all of the above. Other things I've tried and liked would be the tom yum (norm, but always yummy), banana pancakes, mango sticky rice, fried chives dumplings and vegetable spring rolls. If you want to have cheap bird's nest soup, platinum food court and MBK have them at SGD 4 per bowl.

The hotel breakfast buffet had practically the same spread everyday but this is what you get for paying SGD 3 per person per day.

Too engrossed in shopping to take any pictures so there isn't any from inside the mall but we did have a nice meal on the 2nd night with pictures to show for.
Took a cab to Once Upon A Time, a restaurant nearby our hotel recommended by Jerlyn & Suri who were there a couple of months before us. I gave the cabbie the address to some random street and after awhile we thought something was wrong b/c it couldn't have been such a long ride since it was supposed to be near. So we quickly searched the web again to confirm the address and me being me clearly gave the wrong address the first time so we had to make a U-turn. Oops!

Best place we've dined at throughout the trip with the exceptional ambiance and vintage furnitures. The receipt even came in a cute wooden box!
It is however, not easy to locate b/c it's tucked in the middle of an alley. We were on that same alley during our recce on the first day but didn't think to go further b/c we thought it wouldn't be so deep inside. So if you decide to go there on your next visit, maybe you can try looking for this sign:

Shin's and my loots for the 2nd day! I am so glad I went slightly mental b/c 2 days later would be the day I lost all my remaining baht.


My first and only time on the tuk tuk! Adrian was pretty much against tuk tuks b/c he was scammed like crazy in Phuket but we did take one to MBK b/c I really wanted to experience how it feels like. Look at Adrian's new backpack filled with our shopping!

MBK is better known for their electronic gadgets related items like iphone/ipad casings, BB shells, etc but I'll say don't bother b/c all the prices are so steep!!! Or maybe we were just unlucky not to have found cheaper deals but seriously? 600 baht for a casing I can get that sort of price in Singapore. You can't bargain much also b/c so many other tourists will buy from them even if you don't. So meh~
It was however a good place to shop at for bags! Everything in the shop going for only 199 baht and there weren't only one. There were quite a few of such shops you just got to look.
I am so glad we managed to catch at least one ladyboys show. Went to see the Calypso at Asia Hotel on the 3rd night and had noodles at a street side stall opposite the hotel prior to the show which turned out to be Penny's favourite noms for the entire trip!

It was quite entertaining and I really applaud every single one of the performers. How much courage would it takes to have to undergo so much surgery.. The face, the boobs and to go through vaginoplasty...
There were also school boys wearing bikini and such some parts into the performance and while some have boobs, some didn't. Think they might have just started out.
So we were talking about it and thought that it really is pretty much like gaming. You have to go for quests and do jobs to earn money to upgrade your gears so they kind of also have different levels to becoming a ladyboy. Like the school boys might just be level 10 b/c they have only started out and the others 70 to 90+ depending. Am I making any sense? Anyway these were just some random thoughts, not meant to be offensive or anything.
Moving on! Things we do in the hotel room.....

The last picture shows the room service they called for me to cheer me up after I lost my wallet. So now every time I see this picture my heart aches a little at the reminder of my carelessness.
I'll be back soon for Part II of the trip. As usual, too many photos in one post.
P/s: The Lorax sucked.
No comments:
Post a Comment